Re: Upgrading from 9.0.3 to latest

От Kevin Grittner
Тема Re: Upgrading from 9.0.3 to latest
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
"Benjamin Krajmalnik" <kraj@servoyant.com> wrote:

> I will be taking down all of our infrastructure to update firmware
> on the controllers due to a bug affecting BBU (wonderful J ).
>
> I was thinking of taking the opportunity and upgrading pg from
> 9.0.3 (amd64 on Freebsd 8.1) to the latest version 9.0.6.

That sounds like a good idea.

> In the release notes for 9.0.6, it mentions:
>
> fix bugs in information_schema.referential_constraints view (Tom
> Lane)
>
> Is the dropping and recreation of this mandatory,

If you don't do it, I don't think you're any worse off than you were
while at version 9.0.3; you will just not have fixed the view.

> can it be done at any time while the server is already being
> pounded with data?

I would tend to do it as part of the upgrade process.  I don't think
it take very long to run.  If you do it while queries are running,
you will get errors if any of them reference the information_schema
schema, they will get runtime errors on missing objects.

Probably more important is to make sure that you have considered
this issue, and taken action if necessary:

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/20110408pg_upgrade_fix

-Kevin