Обсуждение: Upgrading from 9.0.3 to latest

Upgrading from 9.0.3 to latest

От
"Benjamin Krajmalnik"

I will be taking down all of our infrastructure to update firmware on the controllers due to a bug affecting BBU (wonderful J ).

I was thinking of taking the opportunity and upgrading pg from 9.0.3 (amd64 on Freebsd 8.1) to the latest version 9.0.6.

In the release notes for 9.0.6, it mentions:

fix bugs in information_schema.referential_constraints view (Tom Lane)

Is the dropping and recreation of this mandatory, and if so, can it be done at any time while the server is already being pounded with data?

TIA,

Benjamin

Re: Upgrading from 9.0.3 to latest

От
"Kevin Grittner"
Дата:
"Benjamin Krajmalnik" <kraj@servoyant.com> wrote:

> I will be taking down all of our infrastructure to update firmware
> on the controllers due to a bug affecting BBU (wonderful J ).
>
> I was thinking of taking the opportunity and upgrading pg from
> 9.0.3 (amd64 on Freebsd 8.1) to the latest version 9.0.6.

That sounds like a good idea.

> In the release notes for 9.0.6, it mentions:
>
> fix bugs in information_schema.referential_constraints view (Tom
> Lane)
>
> Is the dropping and recreation of this mandatory,

If you don't do it, I don't think you're any worse off than you were
while at version 9.0.3; you will just not have fixed the view.

> can it be done at any time while the server is already being
> pounded with data?

I would tend to do it as part of the upgrade process.  I don't think
it take very long to run.  If you do it while queries are running,
you will get errors if any of them reference the information_schema
schema, they will get runtime errors on missing objects.

Probably more important is to make sure that you have considered
this issue, and taken action if necessary:

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/20110408pg_upgrade_fix

-Kevin

Re: Upgrading from 9.0.3 to latest

От
"Benjamin Krajmalnik"
Дата:
If I have never used pg_upgrade, so I believe I do not need to do
anything, correct?

Дата:
"Benjamin Krajmalnik" <kraj@servoyant.com> wrote:
> If I have never used pg_upgrade, so I believe I do not need to do
> anything, correct?

Correct.

-Kevin