Re: create schedule job

От Craig Ringer
Тема Re: create schedule job
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On 30/08/2011 9:29 PM, Karuna Karpe wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am create one job using pgAgent in postgres studio.  In that job i
> want to backup whole database every day.  But when i check the backup
> location, then there is no any backup file created.

Write permissions for PgAgent user to target location?

SELinux involvement?

Also, you seem to be doing both a pg_dumpall that backs up all the
databases, and individual pg_dump runs for each database. Typically
you'd do one or the other. If using individual database pg_dump, you
usually use pg_dumpall with the "--globals-only" option to capture user
definitions etc.

I recommend that you add error handling to your script. First, add

set -e -u

to the top, so the script treats undefined variables as errors and so
that it aborts when commands fail. Then add error handling, eg:

$PGBIN/pg_dumpall -h $PGHOST -U $PGUSER | gzip >
$BACKUPDIR/fullbackup-$themonth.sql.gz

becomes (eg)

if ! "$PGBIN/pg_dumpall" -h "$PGHOST" -U "$PGUSER" | gzip >
"$BACKUPDIR/fullbackup-$themonth.sql.gz" ; then
   echo >2 "Failed to dump global data from database. Backup FAILED."
   exit 1
fi

Then make *SURE* that cron or pgagent or whatever check the exit status
of your script and email you the contents of stderr when it fails. Do
this by temporarily adding:

echo 2>"Manually aborting"
exit 1

to the top of your script and making sure that you get an error email
containing "Manually aborting" when it is there.

Once that's done, you'll know that if something makes the backup fail,
you will be notified and the message will contain the error output from
the failed command.

--
Craig Ringer