Re: Bloat and Slow Vacuum Time on Toast

От Kevin Grittner
Тема Re: Bloat and Slow Vacuum Time on Toast
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Ken Caruso <ken@ipl31.net> wrote:
> Kevin Grittner <Kevin.Grittner@wicourts.gov  wrote:
>
>> Ken Caruso <ken@ipl31.net> wrote:
>>

>> > SELECT SUM(pg_relation_size(pg_class.oid))
>> > FROM pg_class ;
>>
>> Perhaps you want pg_total_relation_size()?

> The number returned when using pg_total_relation size makes more
> sense: 346GB. However it looked like pg_class has toast and
> indexes listed individually, so I assumed that using
> pg_total_relation_size would count values twice, because the total
> relation size of table would include toast and indexes, and then
> they would get counted again when I ran pg_total_relation_size on
> the toast and indexes themselves. Is that an incorrect assumption
> on my part?

No that's a good point.  On one of our production databases,
externally:

ccsa@SOCRATES:~> du -sh /var/pgsql/data/cc/
2.2T    /var/pgsql/data/cc/

internally:

cir=# select
pg_size_pretty(sum(pg_relation_size(pg_class.oid))::bigint) from
pg_class;
 pg_size_pretty
----------------
 2176 GB
(1 row)

cir=# select
pg_size_pretty(sum(pg_total_relation_size(pg_class.oid))::bigint)
from pg_class;
 pg_size_pretty
----------------
 4223 GB
(1 row)

cir=# select
pg_size_pretty(sum(pg_total_relation_size(pg_class.oid))::bigint)
from pg_class where relkind = 'r';
 pg_size_pretty
 2176 GB
(1 row)

You must have a lot of something outside of relations showing as
active in pg_class taking up space.  WAL files?  Server logs?  Temp
files left over from crashes?

-Kevin

Сообщение: Re: Bloat and Slow Vacuum Time on Toast
Сообщение: Re: Bloat and Slow Vacuum Time on Toast