Re: Column descriptions - could they be propagated to new tables?

От Jim Nasby
Тема Re: Column descriptions - could they be propagated to new tables?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Apr 5, 2006, at 12:15 PM, Merlin Moncure wrote:
> On 4/5/06, Clive Page <cgp@star.le.ac.uk> wrote:
>> Since I discovered the facilities in Postgres for providing and
>> listing
>> column descrptions, I have found them very useful, especially for
>> adding a
>> string showing physical units to my columns.
>
> Have you considered using domains for these types?  You can comment
> the domain appropriately.  While the domain description will not show
> in \d+. to get the description you can do \dT on the domain.
>
> Based on your background I also think you might appreciate domains
> from a design perspective.  There are a couple of disadvantages to
> using them so I'd suggest reading about them.

I seem to recall some astronomer having created some custom types for
storing astronomical data in PostgreSQL. Or perhaps he was using
PostGIS. I know that other astronomers are using PostgreSQL/PostGIS
so if you look around you might be able to save yourself quite a bit
of work.