Re: Migrating to Postgresql and new hardware

От Craig Ringer
Тема Re: Migrating to Postgresql and new hardware
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On 01/19/2011 05:09 PM, Lars wrote:
> Thanks for the reply!
>
> MyISAM was chosen back in 2000. I'm not aware of the reasoning behind this choice...
>
> Dell claims both the Samsung and the Pliant are safe to use.
> Below is a quote from the Pliant datasheet:
> "No Write Cache:
> Pliant EFDs deliver outstanding
> write performance
> without any dependence on
> write cache and thus does
> not use battery/supercap."

Er ... magic? I wouldn't trust them without details on *how* it achieves
good performance, and what "good" is.

Is there *any* device on the market that efficiently handles lots of
small writes?

>> As others have mentioned, how are you going to be doing your "shards"?
> Hmm... shards might not have been a good word to describe it. I'll paste what I wrote in another reply:
> I used sharding as an expression for partitioning data into several databases.

"sharding" or "shards" is pretty much the standard way that setup is
described. It doesn't come up on the Pg list a lot as most people doing
web-oriented horizontally scaled apps use MySQL or fashionable non-SQL
databases, but it's pretty well known in wider circles.

--
Craig Ringer