Re: Migrating to Postgresql and new hardware

От Lars
Тема Re: Migrating to Postgresql and new hardware
Дата
Re: Migrating to Postgresql and new hardware  (Greg Smith <greg@2ndquadrant.com>)
Список pgsql-performance
Thanks for the reply!

MyISAM was chosen back in 2000. I'm not aware of the reasoning behind this choice...

Dell claims both the Samsung and the Pliant are safe to use.
Below is a quote from the Pliant datasheet:
"No Write Cache:
Pliant EFDs deliver outstanding
write performance
without any dependence on
write cache and thus does
not use battery/supercap."

> As others have mentioned, how are you going to be doing your "shards"?
Hmm... shards might not have been a good word to describe it. I'll paste what I wrote in another reply:
I used sharding as an expression for partitioning data into several databases.
Each user in the system is unaware of any other user. The user never accesses the private data of another user. Each
usercould in theory be assigned their own database server. This makes it easy to split the 40000 users over a number of
databaseservers. There are some shared data that is stored in a special "shared" database.

/Lars