Re: Migrating to Postgresql and new hardware

От: Andy Colson
Тема: Re: Migrating to Postgresql and new hardware
Дата: ,
Список: pgsql-performance

Скрыть дерево обсуждения

Migrating to Postgresql and new hardware  (Lars, )
 Re: Migrating to Postgresql and new hardware  (Andy Colson, )
  Re: Migrating to Postgresql and new hardware  (Andy Colson, )
  Re: Migrating to Postgresql and new hardware  (Lars, )
 Re: Migrating to Postgresql and new hardware  ("Strange, John W", )
  Re: Migrating to Postgresql and new hardware  ("Mark Felder", )
  Re: Migrating to Postgresql and new hardware  (Lars, )
 Re: Migrating to Postgresql and new hardware  ("mark", )
  Re: Migrating to Postgresql and new hardware  (Lars, )
   Re: Migrating to Postgresql and new hardware  (Craig Ringer, )
    Re: Migrating to Postgresql and new hardware  (Andy Colson, )
     Re: Migrating to Postgresql and new hardware  (Scott Marlowe, )
   Re: Migrating to Postgresql and new hardware  (Greg Smith, )

On 1/19/2011 6:42 PM, Craig Ringer wrote:
> On 01/19/2011 05:09 PM, Lars wrote:
>> Thanks for the reply!
>>

>>> As others have mentioned, how are you going to be doing your "shards"?
>> Hmm... shards might not have been a good word to describe it. I'll
>> paste what I wrote in another reply:
>> I used sharding as an expression for partitioning data into several
>> databases.
>
> "sharding" or "shards" is pretty much the standard way that setup is
> described. It doesn't come up on the Pg list a lot as most people doing
> web-oriented horizontally scaled apps use MySQL or fashionable non-SQL
> databases, but it's pretty well known in wider circles.
>
> --
> Craig Ringer

Or... PG is just so good we've never had to use more than one database
server!  :-)

-Andy