Re: W3C Specs: Web SQL

От Charles Pritchard
Тема Re: W3C Specs: Web SQL
Дата
Re: W3C Specs: Web SQL  (tomas@tuxteam.de)
Список pgsql-hackers
On 11/8/2010 4:47 PM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Excerpts from Charles Pritchard's message of lun nov 08 20:25:21 -0300 2010:
>> On 11/8/2010 3:03 PM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>>> Excerpts from Kevin Grittner's message of lun nov 08 19:30:54 -0300 2010:
>>> This spec gives free rein into every web user's system to webmasters.
>>> If this isn't terminally dangerous, I don't know what is.
>> DoS is more-or-less the responsibility of the host to send up alerts like:
>> "This page is hanging, do you want to continue..." or otherwise
>> automatically close hanging queries.
> I classify that kind of approach to security as "terminally dangerous", yes.
>
>> I don't believe the webmaster is granted free rein:
>> Disk quotas are enforced, data is separated per origin,
>> hanging processes are up to the implementer, and postgres has plenty of
>> settings for that.
> The day a privilege escalation is found and some webserver runs
> "pg_read_file()" on your browser, will be a sad one indeed.
>
>> The default disk quota per origin is generally 5megs; beyond that,
>> additional user interaction is requested.
> So 5 megs to a.example.com, 5 megs to b.example.com, and so on?  Sounds,
> eh, great.

I don't think it's fair to assume a privilege escalation will be found:
using that argument, no software should ever run on a client/server.

That said, NaCl and PNaCl are under active development and I've no doubt
that Postgres could be compiled by the tool set in the future.

http://code.google.com/p/nativeclient/

Still, that's a diversion from the topic: Postgres can run on workstations,
with an audience of browser-oriented implementations.

Postgres is more stable than Sqlite for "enterprise-level" activity,
hardened/enterprise
browser distributions would choose Postgres over Sqlite for Web SQL
implementations.

I don't think it's fair to assume a privilege escalation will be found:
using that argument, no software should ever run on a client/server.

That said, NaCl and PNaCl are under active development and I've no doubt
that Postgres could be compiled by the tool set in the future.

http://code.google.com/p/nativeclient/

Still, that's a diversion from the topic: Postgres can run on workstations,
with an audience of browser-oriented implementations.

Postgres is more stable than Sqlite for "enterprise-level" activity,
hardened/enterprise
browser distributions would choose Postgres over Sqlite for Web SQL
implementations.

And as for the quota issues: that's really up to the browser vendor.
It's completely out of spec here.
And it's how the web currently works for hundreds of millions of users:
it's not introducing a security issue,
as it reflects the current state of security.