Re: Issues with Quorum Commit

От Greg Smith
Тема Re: Issues with Quorum Commit
Дата
Re: Issues with Quorum Commit  (Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Markus Wanner wrote:
> I think that's a pretty special case, because the "good alerting system"
> is at least as expensive as another server that just persistently stores
> and ACKs incoming WAL.

The cost of hardware capable of running a database server is a large
multiple of what you can build an alerting machine for.  I have two
systems that are approaching the trash heap just at my house, relative
to the main work I do, but that are fully capable of running an alerting
system.  Building a production quality database server requires a more
significant investment:  high quality disks, ECC RAM, battery-backed
RAID controller, etc.  Relative to what the hardware in a database
server costs, what you need to build an alerting system is almost free.
Oh:  and most businesses that are complicated enough to need a serious
database server already have them, so they actually cost nothing beyond
the software setup time to point them toward the databases, too.

> Why does one ever want the guarantee that sync replication gives to only
> hold true up to one failure, if a better guarantee doesn't cost anything
> extra? (Note that a "good alerting system" is impossible to achieve with
> only two servers. You need a third device anyway).

I do not disagree with your theory or reasoning.  But as a practical
matter, I'm afraid the true cost of the better guarantee you're
suggesting here is additional code complexity that will likely cause
this feature to miss 9.1 altogether.  As far as I'm concerned, this
whole diversion into the topic of quorum commit is only consuming
resources away from targeting something achievable in the time frame of
a single release.

> Sync replication between really just two servers is asking for trouble
> and certainly not worth the savings in hardware cost. Better invest in a
> good UPS and redundant power supplies for a single server.

I wish I could give you the long list of data recovery projects I've
worked on over the last few years, so you could really appreciate how
much what you're saying here is exactly the opposite of the reality
here.  You cannot make a single server reliable enough to survive all of
the things that Murphy's Law will inflict upon it, at any price.  For
most of the businesses I work with who want sync rep, data is not
considered safe until the second copy is on storage miles away from the
original, because they know this too.

Personal anecdote I can share:  I used to have an important project
related to stock trading where I kept my backup system about 50 miles
away from me.  I was aiming for constant availability, while still being
able to drive to the other server if needed for disaster recovery.
Guess what?  Even those two turned out not to be nearly independent
enough; see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northeast_Blackout_of_2003 for
details of how I lost both of those at the same time for days.  Silly
me, I'd only spread them across two adjacent states with different power
providers!  Not nearly good enough to avoid a correlated failure.

--
Greg Smith, 2ndQuadrant US greg@2ndQuadrant.com Baltimore, MD
PostgreSQL Training, Services and Support  www.2ndQuadrant.us