Re: Windows 2008/IIS cannot connect to Postgres 9.0

От Craig Ringer
Тема Re: Windows 2008/IIS cannot connect to Postgres 9.0
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 05/10/10 16:08, Mike Christensen wrote:

>    at Npgsql.NpgsqlCommand.CheckConnectionState() at
> Npgsql.NpgsqlCommand.GetReader(CommandBehavior cb) at

It looks like nobody reading -GENERAL really speaks npgsql/.NET/C#.
Perhaps you should try on the npgsql list instead?

Try filing a bug/support request here:

http://pgfoundry.org/projects/npgsql/

or posting in the forums linked to off that page. It looks like the
npgsql folks primarily use forums and the tracker for user support.

Sorry I can't help you further, but I don't do .NET. I wouldn't mind
learning, but access to the various "technologies" is cripplingly
expensive or (for the express editions) painfully and cripplingly limited.

That's partly the reason for the relative antipathy toward the Windows
platform that you have sarcastically observed. It's just no fun to work
on as a solo, independent developer, because everything that's not
$omfgwtf is crippleware. For example, Microsoft have removed the ability
to attach a debugger to an already-running process from MSVC++ Express
2010. 2008 used to support it. Since neither can open crash dump files
or be installed as a post-mortem debugger either, you get to have fun
with windbg. With things like that, it's little surprise that many
people here loathe working with and supporting Windows platforms, when
the tools are deliberately crippled for anyone not working under a
moneyed-up corporate umbrella. Microsoft isn't handing MSDN
subscriptions out to Pg users/contributors/developers, unsurprisingly,
so it's necessary to drop a pile of personal money on MS dev tools or go
lacking. Most go lacking, and find getting involved in Windows-based
development pretty unappealing as a consequence.

I actually like MSVC++'s debugger a lot, for what it's worth. It's just
annoying that Microsoft only recognises two classes of user - "student"
and "corporate employee with MSDN". Independent/open source developers
do not exist on their radar and do not deserve access to decent tools.

--
Craig Ringer

Tech-related writing: http://soapyfrogs.blogspot.com/

Сообщение: Re: Missing uuid_generate_v1()
Сообщение: Re: Missing uuid_generate_v1()