Re: Reclaiming space

От Christopher Gorge A. Marges
Тема Re: Reclaiming space
Дата
Список pgsql-general
But how would the newer version prevent bloat and eliminate making the database unavailable while the *maintenance* goes on?

The database is more than five years old, and we did not delete records until recently and when we do delete them, naturally the records are in front of the table and the lazy vacuum cannot reclaim the space.  The full vacuum does since it consolidates all the unused space at the expense of locking the table.  In our case our clients rely on our availability.  The newer version(s) of postgres still has this problem of not reclaiming space unless we lock the table so we do not see any compelling reason to upgrade.  But seeing 9.0 includes an improved vacuum makes it worth looking into.

Perhaps there is a more direct approach to remove the bloat, like with a sql statement or some third party utility?  We did use the pg_autovacuum and unless I am mistaken, that should be enough maintenance.  We store millions of records (1 record contains a blob of up to 5mb) per month and if it weren't for the vacuums then it would have been filled up long ago.  But we still wonder why after we deleted a years worth of data, the db still grew bigger.