Re: [NOVICE] - SAN\NAS\DAS - Need help

От Kevin Grittner
Тема Re: [NOVICE] - SAN\NAS\DAS - Need help
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
fel <fellsin@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I am working on upgrading my hardware and wondering how Postgres
> could work with SAN, NAS and DAS .
> Can someone advise me or share experiences ?

My experiences with SAN have been all bad.  If you do consider SAN,
here's my checklist:

(1) Assume that every statement made by a vendor, or anyone they
bring in, is a lie.  Never believe any of it until you have
independently confirmed it.

(2) If you visit a site using SAN, trust what you see only to the
extent that you have personal knowledge that the person presenting
this to you is trustworthy, and then make sure that you get details
on exactly how they got it working so well and what problems they
have had.

(3) Do not count on the vendor or an outside consultant to spec or
configure your SAN.  Develop the expertise within your database
support staff or don't do it.

(4) Configure and place objects carefully, otherwise you'll be
responding to complaints of unacceptable slowness on several
completely independent databases, only to find that some resource
they share is being saturated by a file server backup or maintenance
on your email system.

In general, you should have a very good reason to consider something
other than directly attached storage, and you should have the
expertise to support it before you deploy it.

-Kevin

P.S.  As I was preparing this email, I see you send another copy of
the same email to the same (multiple) lists.  :-(  That's not good
etiquette here, and may cause otherwise helpful people to ignore
your posts.  Even though you're not reporting a problem, exactly,
you might do well to read this:

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Guide_to_reporting_problems

Сообщение: Re: [NOVICE] - SAN/NAS/DAS - Need advises
Сообщение: Re: [NOVICE] - SAN/NAS/DAS - Need advises