Re: [NOVICE] - SAN/NAS/DAS - Need advises

От Scott Whitney
Тема Re: [NOVICE] - SAN/NAS/DAS - Need advises
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
While I agree with JD, we ended up using a fiber solution through a fiber switch with multi-path drivers (IBM DS4300). It did end up costing a few thousand dollars with all of the drives, but the performance made it worth it.

The big thing you want to remember to consider with any storage option is the overall I/O of your storage. A single 5400RPM drive with all of your pgdata on it (as well as the logs, let's say) is going to have serious performance implications that you're not going to have with a RAID10 array of 16 drives, for example.

Personally, having been in IT for _quite_ a few years, I'm still very leery of using network-based storage on database servers specifically. I know other people do it quite successfully out there in the world, but I personally neither want nor need my storage communication going over Ethernet (or such).

On Tue, 7 Sep 2010 15:03:44 +0200, fel <fellsin@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am working on upgrading my hardware and wondering how Postgres could
> work with SAN, NAS and DAS .
> Can someone advise me or share experiences ?

Unless you want to spend *A LOT* of money, DAS is the way to go. You can
get quite a bit of the same functionality without the financial overhead
from the use of a volume manager + DAS.

JD

> Regards,
> Fel

   503-667-4564 - http://www.commandprompt.com/
   The PostgreSQL Company, serving since 1997