Re: 8.2 "real-time" recovery

От Kevin Grittner
Тема Re: 8.2 "real-time" recovery
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
[Rearranged somewhat.  Please don't top-post, but put responses at
the appropriate point in-line.  I've had to guess a bit at what was
responding to what; apologies for any misinterpretation.]

Dragos Valentin Moinescu <dragos.moinescu@gmail.com> wrote:
> Kevin Grittner <Kevin.Grittner@wicourts.gov> wrote:

> I used rsync to create a base backup. Though I have 10 huge tables
> (min 1GB each) that are modified several times a second, thus
> creating a base backup hourly means I have to sync arround 10G
> each time (which is pretty time consuming).

Are you sure you used a rsync daemon, rather than having rsync on
one end look directly at the files on the other end?  That can make
a big difference in the performance for a situation like this.

>> I am inferring that you want to bring your standby up to run
>> read-only queries once per hour, and then resume replication?

> I do not want to use the standby server. This is why I am pretty
> happy with stop - start + recover.

I'm not sure I understand you -- you don't need to run any read-only
queries on the standby server?  Why are you stopping it once per
hour?  Perhaps you just haven't properly implemented warm standby?
(A warm standby accepts new WAL files as they arrive, to stay
relatively up-to-date -- they never reach a "recovery completed"
state unless told to do so, because the recovery script waits for
the next file instead of failing.)

> I cannot base backup anymore :(

What do you mean by that?

-Kevin