Re: How to setup PostgreSQL to work with libpam-pgsql/libnss-pgsql2?

От Craig Ringer
Тема Re: How to setup PostgreSQL to work with libpam-pgsql/libnss-pgsql2?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 25/08/2010 3:02 AM, PMC OS wrote:
> I am new to Linux

[snip]

> Now I like to switch with the authentification to libpam-pgsql/libnss-pgsql2

Honestly, in most cases you'll be much better off managing
authentication with LDAP. It's a better design for the nature of
authentication and user data management, where it has to handle lots of
small read queries and only very rare writes. It also has better
replication.

Even if you're not using Samba, the smbldap-tools provide handy commands
to manage users in the LDAP directory, and the debian ldap-auth-client
package provides a convenient way to configure a client to authenticate
against the directory.

Initial setup takes a little learning, but is well worth it.

If you later find that you need to store user data in a relational
database for some reason, you can even configure slapd to use the
database as a backend, so you're using PostgreSQL behind the scenes but
your clients still talk LDAP. I've never found the need, though; I run
the network at the business I'm sysadmin at with pure LDAP
authentication (slapd, berkely db backend) quite happily.

> to use the PostgreSQL database and now I was XXXX!  nothing is working anymore.  I can not even connect to the
PostgreSQLserver.

Even via "psql -h 192.168.0.3" ?

Can you ping it?

If you run "ps aux | grep postgres" on the server, are there any
postgresql processes running?

If you run "psql" on the server, can it connect? If not, what's the
error message?

If you look at /var/log/postgresql on the server, what are the last few
lines in the logs?

--
Craig Ringer