Re: How to move a database from HP server to Linux Server that had already one database.

От Craig James
Тема Re: How to move a database from HP server to Linux Server that had already one database.
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On 8/9/10 5:14 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> ENGEMANN, DAYSE wrote:
>> Hi Kevin,
>> Sorry to disturb you.. But I am really new in it...
>> Let me see if I understood...
>>
>>   pg_dump -h sourcemachine -U sourceuser source_dbname | psql target_dbname
>
> Has anyone done any measurement of whether it is faster to do the dump
> on the local machine with psql remote or from a remote machine (where
> psql would be local)?

It probably depends more on your network speed.  If you have a slow network, then run pg_dump on the machine where the
databaselives and use compression (--format=c) and restore using pg_restore.  It will cut WAY down on the amount of
datathat has to move across the net.  If you have a fast network, then it doesn't matter very much -- you'll be limited
bydisk speed.

Craig

Сообщение: Re: How to move a database from HP server to Linux Server that had already one database.
Сообщение: Re: How to move a database from HP server to Linux Server that had already one database.