Re: pgFoundry Download URLs

От Greg Smith
Тема Re: pgFoundry Download URLs
Дата
Список pgsql-www
Joshua D. Drake wrote: <blockquote cite="mid:0fdce962980773863e3b25e6150a5ffe@commandprompt.com" type="cite"><pre
wrap="">OnWed, 30 Dec 2009 22:05:41 +0100, Magnus Hagander <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"
href="mailto:magnus@hagander.net"><magnus@hagander.net></a>
was
coupleof dozen people I've talked to about this.  Based on some wild-ass extrapolation from those conversations, I
wouldventure that if one took a survey of every active pgfoundry maintainer, and told them "we're migrating to a better
andeasier to support system, but you'll lose all your active projects and you'll have to move them yourself to the new
hostmanually", votes would still be at least 10:1 in favor of that over the status quo.  I'd expect that if you
provisionedan officially sanctioned replacement candidate, the most popular projects would migrate to it in a minute
giventhe opportunity.  The idea that anyone is going to put more time into trying to maintain it boggles my mind.<br
/><br/> The real key as I see it is to never again choose from among anything but the most popular of such systems <br
/>available.  Pick one of the widely deployed solutions here, don't customize *anything*, keep up with updates to it,
andlet a larger slice of the rest of the world solve this problem.  Seriously--the most important criteria here is
maximizingthe odds that somebody else with a much larger use base is going to maintain and extend the underlying code
ofwhatever solution is used so this project doesn't have to.  A quick glance at the page Robert suggested:<br /><br
/><aclass="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_open_source_software_hosting_facilities">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_open_source_software_hosting_facilities</a><br
features,but I would argue that nothing else but the ones on this list are worth doing any work with.<br /><br /><pre
class="moz-signature"cols="72">--

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:greg@2ndQuadrant.com">greg@2ndQuadrant.com</a>  <a
class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"href="http://www.2ndQuadrant.com">www.2ndQuadrant.com</a>

</pre>