Re: pgFoundry Download URLs

От Magnus Hagander
Тема Re: pgFoundry Download URLs
Дата
Список pgsql-www
2009/12/31 Greg Smith <greg@2ndquadrant.com>:
> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>
> On Wed, 30 Dec 2009 22:05:41 +0100, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net>
> wrote:
>

> FWIW, both are AFAIK missing the "simple migration path" that Dave was
> asking for.
>

> Not really... let the developers move it themselves.
>

> I don't have a large data set, just a couple of dozen people I've talked to about this.  Based on some wild-ass
extrapolationfrom those conversations, I would venture that if one took a survey of every active pgfoundry maintainer,
andtold them "we're migrating to a better and easier to support system, but you'll lose all your active projects and
you'llhave to move them yourself to the new host manually", votes would still be at least 10:1 in favor of that over
thestatus quo.  I'd expect that if you provisioned an officially sanctioned replacement candidate, the most popular
projectswould migrate to it in a minute given the opportunity.  The idea that anyone is going to put more time into
tryingto maintain it boggles my mind.

> The real key as I see it is to never again choose from among anything but the most popular of such systems
> available.  Pick one of the widely deployed solutions here, don't customize *anything*, keep up with updates to it,
andlet a larger slice of the rest of the world solve this problem.  Seriously--the most important criteria here is
maximizingthe odds that somebody else with a much larger use base is going to maintain and extend the underlying code
ofwhatever solution is used so this project doesn't have to.  A quick glance at the page Robert suggested:

I can't see us picking a different system and run it ourselves. If
we're going to run it ourselves, it'll be FusionForge (as I understand
it that's the name of gforge now). The other option is to let somebody
else run it for us, and just provide "some glue" if necessary. Which
is becoming increasinly attractive...

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_open_source_software_hosting_facilities

This is all options where somebody else runs them, right?