Problem installing postgre on windows.

От Elharar, Oded
Тема Problem installing postgre on windows.
Дата
Список pgsql-admin

Hi,
This seems to be discussed a lot in forums but I haven't really found a solution to this problem.

The problem:
1. We have a customer trying to install our product on his machine (with special configuration, more details below). As part of our product installation, our installer calls the installation of PostgreSQL (version 8.1) after our installation succeeds.
2. Postgre installation fails, showing a message box with "initdb create process failed: access denied".
3. The customer swears he is using administrator type user.
4. Our installation uses the large msi with some options (such as user definition etc.), this installation worked on all machines tested (2000, 2000 via terminal, XP, 2003).

The system:
The system is a win 2000 machine inside VMWare, run on a Unix machine.
Connection is via Terminal or VMWare client. Both ways intallation fails.
Our product is windows based and cannot be installed on Unix.

Note: We tried to install directly with the installation msi, but that failed as well because of terminal session.
All posts and replies I read, claimed this was a credentials issue (the initdb error). If anyone has any idea, it would be appreciated.

We would prefer installing it using the large msi with our options as we usually do.

Best Regards,

Oded Elharar