Re: warm standby with WAL shipping

От Geoffrey
Тема Re: warm standby with WAL shipping
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-06-02 at 15:21 -0400, Geoffrey wrote:
>
>> My problem is, I never see a *.history file, thus my script sits in a
>> loop looking for it.  I see the WAL files showing up on the archive
>> server, but I don't see a *.history file.
>>
>> What am I missing?
>
> pg_standby it self isn't a solution for warm standby. It is a component
> thereof. Also don't use SCP. Use rsync. Take a look at walmgr or
> PITRTools it will make your life easier.

I still don't understand why the pg_standby code is looking for the
*.history.  Apparently others have seen this same behavior (according to
google), yet I don't see any definitive answer.

I don't mind looking at other tools, but I want to understand this
process.  I can't find what files are processed in what order, although
according to the pg_standby.c code, there are at least three different
files it's looking for: *.history, *.backup, and the standard WAL files.

Is this documented anywhere?

It appears the PITRTools use pg_standby binary, thus I'm still confused
as to how these files are processed.

--
Until later, Geoffrey

  - Benjamin Franklin