Re: [ADMIN] How to Identify and Fail Transaction When Slave Node Down

От vinny
Тема Re: [ADMIN] How to Identify and Fail Transaction When Slave Node Down
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Although I see the logic of having a query timeout if it cannot be
replicated,
I don't think there is much point in having such a timeout because it
still makes the master reject updates
until you can solve the real problem: the slave has died and needs to be
reanimated.

Your monitoring should notice that the slave has gone down and act on
it, before your users have time to pick up the phone.
PgPool, for example, can monitor multiple servers and reconfigure them
if one of them has a problem,
allowing you to automatically take the slave away from the master, or to
promote the slave if the master fails.

That means that if the slave has a problem, the master will only wait
for the slave as long as it takes for PgPool to kick the slave out,
after which it will tell the master to reconfigure and that will
probably close the hanging transactions too (not sure about that but it
seems logical)

On 2017-03-16 12:49, Anushka Weerakkodyge wrote:
> Thanks for your reply.
> I was wondering whether there is a transaction level timeout in
> postgresql at least to rollback the transaction if it waits for too
> long, or something that I can set in connection string(client).
> I tried statement_timeout, didn't work though.
>
> Thanks,
> Anushka
> On Thu, Mar 16, 2017 at 3:21 PM, vinny <vinny@xs4all.nl> wrote:
>
>> On 2017-03-16 10:06, Anushka Weerakkodyge wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> problem still persists.
>> Is there any configuration (parameter?) to set the timeout of the
>> connection ? Because if the slave node is down, transaction to
>> master
>> node waits forever until slave node comes back online.
>> Any suggestion would be highly appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Anushka
>> On Thu, Mar 16, 2017 at 5:21 AM, Anushka Weerakkodyge
>> <anushkaw@ceylonit.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have a synchronous streaming replication environment which is
>> implemented using inbuilt replication mechanism in postgresql.
>> Replication is working fine except I need to fail the data
>> modification transactions when the slave node is not accessible.
>>
>> Is it possible?
>>
>> Please let me know whether there is a way to identify slave node
>> status and fail the transaction using any inbuilt mechanism or some
>> other technique.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Anushka
>
>  As far as I know, which is does not mean much, there is no timeout
> setting.
> And that's by design; a timeout can occur because the node is down,
> but also because it's busy and cannot answer in time, or there is a
> network hickup.
>
> Adding a timeout would basically break the "syncronous" promise
> because that guarantees that either all nodes are updated, or the
> transaction fails.
>
> And yes I googled this from:
> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CADp-Sm7ENFJH4YQmJVYD2qB2OaKa6qb6TEHCJWfce%2BQoQXsdhA%40mail.gmail.com
> [1]
>
> In the case of a node going down you should probably but some failover
> mechanism in place so you can safely remove the dead node from the
> setup
> and rebuild it before making it part of the cluster again.
>

> Links:
> ------
> [1]
> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CADp-Sm7ENFJH4YQmJVYD2qB2OaKa6qb6TEHCJWfce%2BQoQXsdhA%40mail.gmail.com

Сообщение: Re: [ADMIN] How to Identify and Fail Transaction When Slave Node Down
Сообщение: Re: [ADMIN] How to Identify and Fail Transaction When Slave Node Down