Re: Re: Hot standby v5 patch - restarted replica changes to warm standby mode

От Mark Kirkwood
Тема Re: Re: Hot standby v5 patch - restarted replica changes to warm standby mode
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Simon Riggs wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-11-04 at 18:33 +1300, Mark Kirkwood wrote:
>
>> While doing some tests yesterday I ran into the situation where the
>> standby database would appear to go back into 'warm' mode after it was
>> restarted. The set of steps to reproduce the behaviour is:
>>
>> 1/ Setup master and replica with replica using pg_standby
>> 2/ Initialize pgbench schema with size 100 in database 'postgres'
>> 3/ Connect to replica, then disconnect (this step is not necessary I
>> *think* - just for checking that connection works at this point!)
>> 4/ Shutdown and restart the replica - there is no "database has now
>> reached consistent state" message in the log, and you cannot connect
>>

> How did you shutdown the database? Fast? Immediate mode acts just as it
> does on an unpatched server.
>
> Can you give more details of exactly what you did? Thanks. Not saying
> there isn't a problem, just don't understand what happened.
>
> Not being able to connect after a restart is a design feature, to
> protect you from running potentially invalid queries.

Yeah - I was doing it wrong (using immediate). However retesting with
'fast' gets the same result on this platform (Freebsd 7.1). However on
Linux (Ubuntu 8.04) 'fast' shutdown and restart work fine - somewhat
puzzling - I'll try a fresh checkout on the Freebsd boxes, as there may
be something rotten with the src tree I'm using there...

I must may, this is the coolest feature - (from my point of view) the
simplest way to do replication with the minimum of fuss - 3 config
parameters! (archive_mode,archive_command and restore_command). Really
nice addition for 8.4!

regards

Mark

От: "Fujii Masao"
Сообщение: Re: Synchronous replication patch v1
От: Mark Kirkwood
Сообщение: Re: Re: Hot standby v5 patch - restarted replica changes to warm standby mode