Re: Hot standby v5 patch - restarted replica changes to warm standby mode

От Simon Riggs
Тема Re: Hot standby v5 patch - restarted replica changes to warm standby mode
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 2008-11-04 at 18:33 +1300, Mark Kirkwood wrote:
> While doing some tests yesterday I ran into the situation where the
> standby database would appear to go back into 'warm' mode after it was
> restarted. The set of steps to reproduce the behaviour is:
>
> 1/ Setup master and replica with replica using pg_standby
> 2/ Initialize pgbench schema with size 100 in database 'postgres'
> 3/ Connect to replica, then disconnect (this step is not necessary I
> *think* - just for checking that connection works at this point!)
> 4/ Shutdown and restart the replica - there is no "database has now
> reached consistent state" message in the log, and you cannot connect

How did you shutdown the database? Fast? Immediate mode acts just as it
does on an unpatched server.

Can you give more details of exactly what you did? Thanks. Not saying
there isn't a problem, just don't understand what happened.

Not being able to connect after a restart is a design feature, to
protect you from running potentially invalid queries.