Re: conditional logging based on client

От Shane Ambler
Тема Re: conditional logging based on client
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Achilleas Mantzios wrote:
> Στις Tuesday 22 July 2008 15:17:42 ο/η Rajesh Kumar Mallah
> έγ�αψε:
>> Hi,
>>
>> We want to log all SQLs that has been executed by using psql
>> client. we do not want to use .psql_history as it is distributed
>> and may be deleted by users .
>>
>> The original objective is that we should be able to know what all
>> hand made SQLs have  been executed in past  (which can date back as
>> long as 1 year even)
>
> You have to adjust log_statement in your postgresql.conf however you
> will have to bear in mind the performance implications of this.
> Normal production sites dont do this. You can enable/disable this
> kind of logging any time by killing -HUP

I am thinking that is a bit more than what you want. You can log all sql
statements run on a server but the server can't differentiate between
your custom-app sent sql and hand made sql sent through psql.

I know you can add things like remote address, username, dbname,
sessionid to the start of each log line but I don't know of getting the
client app name.

My thought would be to enable the statement logging and to modify your
client apps to have a set comment at the beginning and end of all sql
statements sent. You could then filter these sql statements out of the
logs leaving you with hand crafted sql.

--

Shane Ambler
pgSQL (at) Sheeky (dot) Biz