Re: JDBC on Postgres 8.3

От Craig Ringer
Тема Re: JDBC on Postgres 8.3
Дата
Список pgsql-jdbc
Chris Browne wrote:
> craig@postnewspapers.com.au (Craig Ringer) writes:
>> You need a JDBC driver for 8.3 specifically. They're not forward
>> compatible, so a JDBC driver for 8.2 may not work correctly with
>> 8.3. As you're happy with JDBC3 or JDBC4 you might as well grab the
>> 8.3 JDBC4 driver:
>
> Are you sure about that???

My understanding, and I'm very far from an authoritative source, is that
it should connect but may not work quite how you expect. I think it
relies on various specifics in system catalogs, among other things.
However, I can't find any information to substantiate that right now, so
it may well be a misunderstanding of previous mail on this list.

I know the drivers are backward compatible, with new drivers working on
older databases. They also appear to have have the "compatible"
parameter to address issues with application compatibility with newer
driver versions, though I've never had cause to use it myself.

In short: you need to confirm this, but I'm not the right person to give
you a definitive (or even good) answer about it.

--
Craig Ringer