Re: JDBC gripe list

От Quartz
Тема Re: JDBC gripe list
Дата
Re: JDBC gripe list  (Dave Cramer <pg@fastcrypt.com>)
Re: JDBC gripe list  (Oliver Jowett <oliver@opencloud.com>)
Список pgsql-jdbc
Keep reading:
http://download.oracle.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/sql/Statement.html#executeBatch%28%29

"If one of the commands in a batch update fails to execute properly, this method throws a BatchUpdateException, and a JDBC driver may or may not continue to process the remaining commands in the batch. However, the driver's behavior must be consistent with a particular DBMS, either always continuing to process commands or never continuing to process commands. If the driver continues processing after a failure, the array returned by the method BatchUpdateException.getUpdateCounts will contain as many elements as there are commands in the batch, and at least one of the elements will be the following[...]"

"
The possible implementations and return values have been modified in the Java 2 SDK, Standard Edition, version 1.3 to accommodate the option of continuing to proccess commands in a batch update after a BatchUpdateException obejct has been thrown. "

For those who believe the driver is fine when breaking the batch after the 1st error, then in my example of 5 inserts with pk id=1 to 5 (with id 2 and 4 already present) the table won't contain at least the id=1 (which didn't fail).

The postgres driver is partly at fault, but the server is too, for making a transaction whene there is none. Try to get any of the 2 sides to work on it and they just throw the problem the other way:
"[server guys]: oh its a driver issue then!..."
"[driver guys]: oh, its a server issue then!..."
Nothing gets done, and we are stuck.