Re: DTrace probe patch for OS X Leopard

От Robert Lor
Тема Re: DTrace probe patch for OS X Leopard
Дата
Список pgsql-patches
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Another thing that is concerning me about this new approach is the way the
> probes are named.  For example, we'd now have a call
>
> POSTGRESQL_LWLOCK_ACQUIRE()
>
> in the code.  This does not say we are *tracing* lock aquisition, but it looks
> like a macro that actually acquires a lock.

Definitely a valid concern.
> I understand that these probe names follow some global naming scheme.  Is it
> hard to change that?  I'd feel more comfortable with, say,
> (D)TRACE_POSTGRESQL_LWLOCK_ACQUIRE().

Because the macro is auto generated and follows certain naming
conventions, prepending TRACE_ will not work. If you did that, the probe
name will be called "postgresql-lwlock-aquire" and the provider will be
"trace" which is not what we want.

To avoid the confusion, how about just adding a simple comment like /*
DTrace probe or  Trace point or something similar */  before all
occurrences of the macro calls?

Regards,
-Robert

От: Alvaro Herrera
Сообщение: Re: DTrace probe patch for OS X Leopard
От: Alvaro Herrera
Сообщение: remove TCL_ARRAYS