Re: Bouncing replies [was: SQL standards in Mysql]

От Dean Gibson (DB Administrator)
Тема Re: Bouncing replies [was: SQL standards in Mysql]
Дата
Re: Bouncing replies [was: SQL standards in Mysql]  (Colin Wetherbee <cww@denterprises.org>)
Re: Bouncing replies [was: SQL standards in Mysql]  (Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>)
Список pgsql-sql
On 2008-02-22 21:34, Scott Marlowe wrote:<br /><br /><blockquote
cite="mid:dcc563d10802222134i5375ecafpaf33dcf329536d01@mail.gmail.com"type="cite"><pre wrap="">Bouncing messages from a
publiclist is kinda rude. </pre></blockquote> No more so, than sending two copies of your reply to me, because you
don'tgo up to your mailer's "To:" line and manually delete the extra address (as I do on EVERY reply I send to this
list).<br/><br /> In fact, if you do that, you won't get the bounce.  I do it out of consideration for others:  since
_I_would prefer to not receive two copies of replies, I assume that _others_ prefer the same. I don't whine about it;
Ijust do it.<br /><br /> So, in return for that consideration, I get your reply.  How did getting the bounce hurt you
oryour computer, or make any extra work for you, more than I would have to do when I get a duplicate message????<br
/><br/> Perhaps I've been working with computers too long.  I've been PAID as a full-time software developer for the
past40 years (45 if you count part-time employment in college), and I'm AMAZED at the amount of intolerance I see on
theInternet with respect to eMails.  Some people whine because the reply is at the top of the message rather than at
thebottom.  There are perfectly good reasons for replying at the top OR at the bottom, depending upon the
circumstances. Other people whine because the sender does not wrap his/her eMail at 76 columns, or because the eMail is
ALLCAPS, or some other imagined slight.  Being an ADAPTABLE human being, rather than UPSET people who aren't similarly
cite="mid:dcc563d10802222134i5375ecafpaf33dcf329536d01@mail.gmail.com"type="cite"><pre wrap="">

Look, if you're going to send email to this list from an address that doesn't accept email from anything but this list,
andsince this list by default is a "reply to all" list (i.e. people hit reply to all) the LEAST you can do is
reconfigureyour Mail client to change the reply to field to point to whatever list it is you are sending
to.</pre></blockquote>A good idea, but I use this eMail address to reply to multiple pgsql-xxx lists.  That would
requirea separate sender address for each list, but I can do that if I'm really hurting other people.  It just means
thatI will have to delete the duplicate replies, rather than have to hear about the problems (which have yet to be
cite="mid:dcc563d10802222134i5375ecafpaf33dcf329536d01@mail.gmail.com"type="cite"><pre wrap="">Or have the decency to
programyour MTA to just throw those messages away. </pre></blockquote> That's a universally discredited idea among mail
administrators: You either reject unwanted mail _during_the_SMTP_dialog_, or you forward it on to the recipient.  The
formeris strongly preferred for dealing with spam (which is why I bounce non-list replies), to avoid the bandwidth,
tomy posts;<br /> 2. edit the "To:" line in your replies to me; or<br /> 3. send me your eMail address and I will
manuallywhitelist you (note that the whitelisting will disappear if some spammer uses your eMail address to circumvent
thebounces).  In fact, I'm surprised that spammers don't already do that using one of the administrator accounts here.
MyeMail address here has been one of the largest targets for the spam my SMTP server rejects over the past few years,

Mail to my list address MUST be sent via the mailing list.
All other mail to my list address will bounce.</pre>

В списке pgsql-sql по дате отправления: