Re: Function description

От Bart Degryse
Тема Re: Function description
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
>>> Richard Huxton <dev@archonet.com> 2008-02-15 11:15 >>>
>Dont' forget to cc: the list Bart :-)

My mistake, sorry. Normally I only reply to the list and not to the respondent's personal address.
Would that be wrong too?

>Bart Degryse wrote:
>> Thanks for that explanation Richard.
>> But how can I know what they repeat without having documentation.
>> I mean, how about functions like eg regexeqjoinsel, regexeqsel, reltimeeq, reltimege.
>> I can imagine they mimic some other functionality, but how can I know whichone?
>
>Well, like I said many implement operators, so they can be obviously be
>found in pg_operator:
>
>SELECT * FROM pg_operator WHERE oprcode = 'reltimeeq'::regproc;
Ok, now I see. Basically, something like this was what I was looking for.

>The oprleft/right/result columns hold oid numbers for types in pg_type.
>
>Casts are listed in pg_cast etc.
>
>The fine manuals detail the system catalogues in a chapter "System
>Catalogs".
>http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/catalogs.html
I will take a close look at these.

>To see how e.g. \dC etc work start psql with -E

I'm sorry, but I don't have commandline access to the database. That would
require an amount of trust and a level of competence our ICT department is incapable of.

>If it's not documented though, you need to ask two questions:
>1. Why am I using it?

Well, at this moment I'm not using any of these functions as I didn't know what
they do. You have to admit though that it would by useless to implement some
functionality myself that already exists, but that I just didn't know about because
I couldn't find it in the manual.
Now I know there's only "aliases" to be found, no "undocument treasures".