Re: Function description

От Richard Huxton
Тема Re: Function description
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
Dont' forget to cc: the list Bart :-)

Bart Degryse wrote:
> Thanks for that explanation Richard.
> But how can I know what they repeat without having documentation.
> I mean, how about functions like eg regexeqjoinsel, regexeqsel, reltimeeq, reltimege.
> I can imagine they mimic some other functionality, but how can I know whichone?

Well, like I said many implement operators, so they can be obviously be
found in pg_operator:

SELECT * FROM pg_operator WHERE oprcode = 'reltimeeq'::regproc;

The oprleft/right/result columns hold oid numbers for types in pg_type.

Casts are listed in pg_cast etc.

The fine manuals detail the system catalogues in a chapter "System
Catalogs".
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/catalogs.html

To see how e.g. \dC etc work start psql with -E

If it's not documented though, you need to ask two questions:
1. Why am I using it?
2. Will it be there in the next version?

--   Richard Huxton  Archonet Ltd