Re: Is my database now too big?

От Darren Reed
Тема Re: Is my database now too big?
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
So having upgraded to 8.1.10, I thought I'd try out a few things...

# /usr/pkg/bin/pg_dumpall
--
-- PostgreSQL database cluster dump
--

\connect postgres

--
-- Roles
--

CREATE ROLE postgres;
ALTER ROLE postgres WITH SUPERUSER INHERIT CREATEROLE CREATEDB LOGIN;

--
-- Database creation
--

REVOKE ALL ON DATABASE template1 FROM PUBLIC;
REVOKE ALL ON DATABASE template1 FROM postgres;

\connect postgres

pg_dump: SQL command failed
pg_dump: Error message from server: ERROR:  out of memory
DETAIL:  Failed on request of size 20.
pg_dump: The command was: LOCK TABLE public.foo IN ACCESS SHARE MODE
pg_dumpall: pg_dump failed on database "postgres", exiting
# SELECT * FROM foo LIMIT 1;
ERROR:  out of memory
DETAIL:  Failed on request of size 20.

I don't know if this is of any significance:
# \l
        List of databases
   Name    |  Owner   | Encoding
-----------+----------+-----------
 postgres  | postgres | SQL_ASCII
 template0 | postgres | SQL_ASCII
 template1 | postgres | SQL_ASCII
(3 rows)

# /usr/pkg/bin/psql -U postgres template1
psql: FATAL:  out of memory
DETAIL:  Failed on request of size 20.

What puzzles me is why the transaction log hasn't
resulted in postgresql being able to restore itself
to a known clean state.

Darren