Re: pgAdmin III v1.8.0 Beta 2 released

От Dave Page
Тема Re: pgAdmin III v1.8.0 Beta 2 released
Дата
Список pgadmin-hackers
Erwin Brandstetter wrote:
> I noticed a peculiarity when installing the new beta2 at my other PC
> (Win XP Home):
>
> I had the previous beta1 installed. When running "upgrade.bat" for
> beta2 it stopped with an error:
>
>    A network error occurred while attempting to read from the file:
>    G:\Soft\DB\pgadmin3-1.8.0-beta2\pgadmin3-1.8.0-beta1.msi
>
> It looks as though "msiexec" requires the previous .msi file in the
> same directory for deinstallation first.
> After copying old and new .msi files to the same directory it went off
> without a hitch. Both versions can live in the same directory as the
> filename of beta1 was different: "pgadmin3-1.8.0-beta1.msi". That's
> probably also why my first installation yesterday did not complain: I
> had the old .msi file in the same directory.

Hi Erwin,

If the filename is the same it shouldn't complain, even if installed fom
a different directory. The vamus option used in the batch file roughly
equates to 'rerun this installation, overwriting every installed file'.
Although it's a newer MSI file, it will upgrade because the features and
components in the database are matched to those already installed by the
product ID.

This is the same technique we've used on the Windows builds of
PostgreSQL since 8.0.1.

Regards, Dave.