Re: Thousands of tables versus on table?

От Scott Marlowe
Тема Re: Thousands of tables versus on table?
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Craig James wrote:

> Oracle is simply not better than Postgres in this regard.  As far as I
> know, there is only one specific situation (discussed frequently here)
> where Oracle is faster: the count(), min() and max() functions, and I
> know significant progress has been made since I started using
> Postgres.  I have not found any other query where Oracle is
> significantly better, and I've found several where Postgres is the
> clear winner.
In my testing between a commercial database that cannot be named and
postgresql, I found max() / min() to be basically the same, even with
where clauses and joins happening.

count(*), OTOH, is a still a clear winner for the big commercial
database.  With smaller sets (1 Million or so) both dbs are in the same
ballpark.

With 30+million rows, count(*) took 2 minutes on pgsql and 4 seconds on
the big database.

OTOH, there are some things, like importing data, which are MUCH faster
in pgsql than in the big database.

От: Craig James
Сообщение: Re: Thousands of tables versus on table?
От: Craig James
Сообщение: Re: Thousands of tables versus on table?