Re: Thousands of tables versus on table?

От Craig James
Тема Re: Thousands of tables versus on table?
Дата
Re: Thousands of tables versus on table?
Список pgsql-performance
david@lang.hm wrote:
> various people (not database experts) are pushing to install Oracle
> cluster so that they can move all of these to one table with a
> customerID column.

They're blowing smoke if they think Oracle can do this.  One of my applications had this exact same problem --
table-per-customerversus big-table-for-everyone.  Oracle fell over dead, even with the best indexing possible, tuned by
theexperts, and using partitions keyed to the customerID.

We ended up breaking it up into table-per-customer because Oracle fell over dead when we had to do a big update on a
customer'sentire dataset.  All other operations were slowed by the additional index on the customer-ID, especially
complexjoins.  With a table-for-everyone, you're forced to create tricky partitioning or clustering, clever indexes,
andeven with that, big updates are problematic.  And once you do this, then you become heavily tied to one RDBMS and
yourapplications are no longer portable, because clustering, indexing, partitioning and other DB tuning tricks are very
specificto each RDBMS.

When we moved to Postgres, we never revisited this issue, because both Oracle and Postgres are able to handle thousands
oftables well.  As I wrote in a previous message on a different topic, often the design of your application is more
importantthan the performance.  In our case, the table-per-customer makes the applications simpler, and security is
MUCHeasier.

Oracle is simply not better than Postgres in this regard.  As far as I know, there is only one specific situation
(discussedfrequently here) where Oracle is faster: the count(), min() and max() functions, and I know significant
progresshas been made since I started using Postgres.  I have not found any other query where Oracle is significantly
better,and I've found several where Postgres is the clear winner.

It's telling that Oracle's license contract prohibits you from publishing comparisons and benchmarks.  You have to
wonderwhy.

Craig

Сообщение: Re: Thousands of tables versus on table?
Сообщение: Re: Thousands of tables versus on table?