Re: Not ready for 8.3

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: Not ready for 8.3
Дата
Re: Not ready for 8.3  (Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>)
Re: Not ready for 8.3  (Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan@kaltenbrunner.cc>)
Re: Not ready for 8.3  (Oleg Bartunov <oleg@sai.msu.su>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Based on our progress during this feature freeze, we will not complete
> the feature freeze until August/September.  I think we need adjust
> expectations about an 8.3 release date, and decide if we want to
> radically change our work process.
>
> Basically, to make a release anywhere near July, we need 10x more
> progress than we have had, which is unlikely.

Or we have another short release cycle, basically accepting what we have
now that can be worked through in the next 3 weeks and committed. If it
can't be done in that time, it waits. Then we have beta etc...

> We could ship what is in CVS now, but that just pushes the patches for
> 8.4, and isn't fair to patch submitters.  We could shove what we have
> now into CVS, but that is unwise.

Sure it is, if we have a short release cycle. There are plenty of things
out there that are not quite ready yet, that could be if we released
again next January...

> I think the only other thing we _could_ do is to re-open normal 8.3
> development, so we aren't hampering updates to trivial parts of the
> code. Many of the patches now in the queue had been developed for months

Gah, that sounds like a horrible solution. Sorry Bruce.

> The question is whether it is healthy for us to remain in feature freeze
> for months, and if it is unhealthy, what are our options?
>
> Patch status:
>
>     http://developer.postgresql.org/index.php/Todo:PatchStatus

If... this is actually a problem (I leave to other committers and
reviewers to comment) then I suggest we push all patches without a
reviewer as of now to 8.4.

Leaving only those patches that have confirmed reviewers to be worked
through.

FYI, whoever did that Todo:Patch status, Bravo! That is easily one of
the smallest but best improvements to the process I have seen in recent
memory.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake