Re: Not ready for 8.3

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: Not ready for 8.3
Дата
Re: Not ready for 8.3  ("Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Based on our progress during this feature freeze, we will not complete
> > the feature freeze until August/September.  I think we need adjust
> > expectations about an 8.3 release date, and decide if we want to
> > radically change our work process.
> >
> > Basically, to make a release anywhere near July, we need 10x more
> > progress than we have had, which is unlikely.
>
> Or we have another short release cycle, basically accepting what we have
> now that can be worked through in the next 3 weeks and committed. If it
> can't be done in that time, it waits. Then we have beta etc...

That is not fair to patch submitters, and pushes the problem to 8.4,
where it will be no better.

> > We could ship what is in CVS now, but that just pushes the patches for
> > 8.4, and isn't fair to patch submitters.  We could shove what we have
> > now into CVS, but that is unwise.
>
> Sure it is, if we have a short release cycle. There are plenty of things
> out there that are not quite ready yet, that could be if we released
> again next January...

Huh, you didn't answer my issue about unfair.

> > The question is whether it is healthy for us to remain in feature freeze
> > for months, and if it is unhealthy, what are our options?
> >
> > Patch status:
> >
> >     http://developer.postgresql.org/index.php/Todo:PatchStatus
>
> If... this is actually a problem (I leave to other committers and
> reviewers to comment) then I suggest we push all patches without a
> reviewer as of now to 8.4.
>
> Leaving only those patches that have confirmed reviewers to be worked
> through.
>
> FYI, whoever did that Todo:Patch status, Bravo! That is easily one of
> the smallest but best improvements to the process I have seen in recent
> memory.

Fairness and not pushing our problems out to the future --- address
those issues.

--  Bruce Momjian  <bruce@momjian.us>          http://momjian.us EnterpriseDB
http://www.enterprisedb.com