Re: How to compile with different MAXALIGN?

От Sean Murphy
Тема Re: How to compile with different MAXALIGN?
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Actually the colo machine is running Windows as well (not my call, but
there are other workloads on it) but Ubuntu is running under VMWare, so
I could install a truly identical copy of the colo "machine" on the same
server I'm moving from...

Thanks!

Andy Shellam wrote:
> Is there any chance of you setting up a temporary machine on the same
> network as your Windows one but an identical build as your co-located
> machine?  Then you can transfer your Windows data to Linux using
> pg_dump/restore, switch your apps over to the Linux machine, then use
> WAL files to mimic the changes onto your co-location.
>
> Once you're new co-lo machine is at the same stage as your temporary
> one, switch the application over to your co-lo machine and turn the temp
> and Windows machines off.
>
> Failing that perhaps someone with experience of Slony would be able
> guide you if this is possible with Slony?
>
> Andy.
>
> Sean Murphy wrote:
>> We're talking about 12 GB of data... to do the [probably ill-fated]
>> binary copy in any reasonable amount of time required a portable hard
>> drive and sneaker-net...
>>
>> That's why I'm anxious, probably to the point of stupidity, to avoid a
>> situation where I'll have to bring the db down long enough to pull a
>> backup dump onto portable media, drive to the colo, and restore it...
>>
>> (I'll do a pre-live test run of whatever procedure I go with, but...)
>>
>> Sean
>>
>> Andy Shellam wrote:
>>
>>> From experience I would say NEVER NEVER try and do a direct copy across
>>> different platforms (Windows -> Linux.)
>>> Someone may contradict me, but I think a dump/restore would be the way
>>> to go.
>>>
>>> What sort of size of data are we talking?  You'll need to factor in the
>>> time it takes to dump the data, the time it takes to transfer the dump
>>> to your new machine, and the time it takes to restore it.
>>>
>>> Andy.

>> TIP 9: In versions below 8.0, the planner will ignore your desire to
>>        choose an index scan if your joining column's datatypes do not
>>        match
>>
>> !DSPAM:37,46141ebe89298265317040!

Сообщение: Re: How to compile with different MAXALIGN?
Сообщение: Re: How to compile with different MAXALIGN?