Re: [Spam] Re: How to compile with different MAXALIGN?

От Andy Shellam
Тема Re: [Spam] Re: How to compile with different MAXALIGN?
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Is there any chance of you setting up a temporary machine on the same
network as your Windows one but an identical build as your co-located
machine?  Then you can transfer your Windows data to Linux using
pg_dump/restore, switch your apps over to the Linux machine, then use
WAL files to mimic the changes onto your co-location.

Once you're new co-lo machine is at the same stage as your temporary
one, switch the application over to your co-lo machine and turn the temp
and Windows machines off.

Failing that perhaps someone with experience of Slony would be able
guide you if this is possible with Slony?

Andy.

Sean Murphy wrote:
> We're talking about 12 GB of data... to do the [probably ill-fated]
> binary copy in any reasonable amount of time required a portable hard
> drive and sneaker-net...
>
> That's why I'm anxious, probably to the point of stupidity, to avoid a
> situation where I'll have to bring the db down long enough to pull a
> backup dump onto portable media, drive to the colo, and restore it...
>
> (I'll do a pre-live test run of whatever procedure I go with, but...)
>
> Sean
>
> Andy Shellam wrote:
>
>> From experience I would say NEVER NEVER try and do a direct copy across
>> different platforms (Windows -> Linux.)
>> Someone may contradict me, but I think a dump/restore would be the way
>> to go.
>>
>> What sort of size of data are we talking?  You'll need to factor in the
>> time it takes to dump the data, the time it takes to transfer the dump
>> to your new machine, and the time it takes to restore it.
>>
>> Andy.
>>
>> Sean Murphy wrote:
>>
>>> I'm in the process of moving a large database from an in-house Win32
>>> server to a co-located Ubuntu Linux server. The data's in constant use,
>>> so I can't really bring the server down for more than a half hour or so,
>>> and I'd like to go ahead and use a base backup + WAL restore strategy to
>>> sync the servers up before flipping the switch.
>>>
>>> After copying over my base backup and setting ACL appropriately, when I
>>> go to start the server on Linux it fails with a message in the log
>>> stating that the cluster (binary copy from the W32 server) is
>>> initialized MAXALIGN 8 and the server is compiled MAXALIGN 4. A search
>>> of the Docs tells me that I can compile the server with a different
>>> MAXALIGN, but the install docs don't give any indication how this is
>>> achieved. Is there a configure or gmake option I can feed, or do I need
>>> to change a line in one (or more) of the source files?
>>>
>>> Or is there a compelling reason (I'm absolutely ignorant here) to do a
>>> dump and restore instead of the binary copy because MAXALIGN 4 is better
>>> for performance/security/fill-in-the-blank?
>>>
>>> Or is a binary copy move from W to L hopeless even if this particular
>>> issue isn't?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Sean

>>> TIP 3: Have you checked our extensive FAQ?
>>>
>>>                http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq

>        match
>
> !DSPAM:37,46141ebe89298265317040!

Сообщение: Re: [Spam] Re: How to compile with different MAXALIGN?
Сообщение: Re: [Spam] Re: How to compile with different MAXALIGN?