Re: Should clients warn in case of server version mismatch

От Adam Radlowski
Тема Re: Should clients warn in case of server version mismatch
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
I had problem such this. I've got 8.1.3 client and 8.0.6 server. But
psql 8.1.3 warned me, that some \? functions can not work properly. I've
resolved this problem in very simply way. I got binary psql from 8.0.x
and run. Psql program is a client program, that uses libpq library, so
it is (I think) no difference until the libpq includes correct and
enough routines to call them from psql. I've tested for example my own
application compiled with 8.1.3 libpq on 7.4.8 libpq, or compiled with
8.0.7 on 8.1.3. But the not use functions, like \?. No problems. But the
\? functions in psql are implemented (I think) in other way and are
version specific, becouse the consttruction of information part of
database is not compatible between versions 8.0.x and 8.1.x and 8.2.x
(the first two numbers of a version are signifficant in this case).
Brgds
Adam