Re: PostgreSQL win32 fragmentation issue

От Matthew T. O'Connor
Тема Re: PostgreSQL win32 fragmentation issue
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 01, 2006 at 10:58:44PM -0800, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>
>> I know this isn't *our* fault :) but I am curious if there is anything
>> we can do about the way postgresql writes files to help limit fragmentation.
>>
>> Essentially, this makes win32 impossible in a 24x7 environment (jokes
>> aside about Win32 in general) because we *have* to defrag on Windows and
>> Windows won't defrag open files (thus anything PostgreSQL is using).
>>

> BTW, do you know what 11% fragmentation means? Does that mean each file
> is on average split in 9 pieces, because for a 1GB file, 9 pieces isn't
> all that bad.

Or more specifically do you have any idea what it means in terms of
performance?  And why do you say that you *have to* defrag under
windows, isn't this only a performance issue and not necessarily a huge
one at that?  Also, as a solution, I would think that CLUSTER might help.

Matt