Re: [SQL] Case Preservation disregarding case

От Ken Johanson
Тема Re: [SQL] Case Preservation disregarding case
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 02, 2006 at 12:41:37AM -0700, Ken Johanson wrote:
>> 1: It seems like this behavior of case sensitive-or-not-identifiers
>> could/should be a config option -- either globally for the server,
>> database, or at the connection/session level. Other databases *do*
>> support this type of granular config of misc SQL behavior -- its
>> essential for shared hosting environments. Without it some users just
>> *cant* make the switch. Quoting all an app's identifiers -- or renaming
>> camel-case to underscored -- show stopper.
>
> What about option 3: use camelcase without underscares and don't quote.
> Then you get case-insensetivity and it's still readable.
>
> You're obviously talking about an app which isn't quoting identifiers,
> so I'm not sure what the actual problem is.
>
> Have a nice day,

Yes, I do routinely use non-quoted identifiers. The problem is, that
they are case-folded (to lower in PG's case), so my camel-case does not
match. For the query to work I MUST quote identifiers hat have camel-case.

SELECT
pers."firstName",
pers.lastname,

Has your experience with PG been different? If so I presume you have
have found a config that allows?:

SELECT
pers.firstName,
pers.lastname,