Re: Advantages of PostgreSQL over MySQL 5.0

От Chris Travers
Тема Re: Advantages of PostgreSQL over MySQL 5.0
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Leif Jensen wrote:

>   Hello,
>
>  I have with great interrest been following this thread. We have a
>(small) flame war in house about this and I'm very happy about all the
>arguments I have seen. I'm a long time user of PostgreSQL (which possibly
>makes me a bit biased ;-) ) and I think it's great. I'm not a big database
>expert, but I try to make things as good and standard as I can.
>
>  In this respect I have 3 questions:
>
>1) I wonder that no one has mentioned anything about security issues in
>those two. I know that I'm a novice and that I didn't use MySql very much,
>but it seems to me that the PostgreSQL security is much better than MySql
>!?

Most people on the list only grudgingly use MySQL and so most are not so
well aware of the limitations of MySQL's security model.

MySQL has no concept of group memberships or group permissions (or the
more complex role permissions).  The permissions are simply at the level
of the individual user.  When I have coded complex apps on MySQL, I have
sometimes found it necessary to emulate this level of permission so that
the permissions can be "compiled" down to individual permissions on the
tables.  It is a real pain sometimes.

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers
Metatron Technology Consulting

Вложения

От: Bruno Wolff III
Сообщение: Re: prepared SELECT and placeholders with NULL values
От: Tomaz Borstnar
Сообщение: experiences needed - how does Itanium2/1.5GHz(4MB) compare to AMD and Intel CPUs as far as Postgresql is concerned