Re: pg 8.1.3 on AIX

От Seneca Cunningham
Тема Re: pg 8.1.3 on AIX
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Gavin Hamill wrote:
> We're a Linux shop, and are getting an IBM pSeries 650 with AIX
> preloaded on Friday - I have no AIX experience, and was looking for info
> about compiling pg 8.1.3 on AIX, since it's the only app that will run
> on the machine. First, are there any precompiled packages? :))

None that I know of.  The usual sources for precompiled AIX packages
don't have postgres.

> Basically, is it currently a matter of ./configure, make, make install ?
> We can have whatever AIX version we want up to 5.3, so I'm looking for
> advice on which provides the path of least resistance..
>
> I've been reading through
> http://archives.free.net.ph/message/20051122.005048.a0a268bc.en.html and
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faqs.FAQ_AIX.html
>
> What's the popular concensus of using gcc versus  AIX's native 'cc' ?

I'm not certain, I've only used gcc.  Don't install GNU binutils,
though.  Use AIX's native tools (you can't even bootstrap gcc with
binutils).

> Is a pg install likely to just be a case of installing libedit and
> perhaps using the 8.2devel backend Makefle as the FAQ_AIX suggests?

You don't actually need libedit, but unlike readline it hasn't caused
any segfaults.  If you want to use libedit, follow option 2 from the FAQ
as readline would probably be installed already through IBM's rpms.  If
you want to use readline, follow option 1 (and I only tested the
procedure with revision 1.112 of the backend Makefile).  If you don't
care about tab-completion, history, and anything else readline provides,
it's easier to leave everything vanilla and add --without-readline to
the configure flags (option 3 from the FAQ).  (And yes, I do now realize
that the optional nature of this matter could have been better expressed
in the FAQ by using something other than unadorned numbers to label the
options.  They're options, not steps)

--
Seneca Cunningham
scunning@ca.afilias.info