Обсуждение: pg 8.1.3 on AIX

pg 8.1.3 on AIX

От
Gavin Hamill
Hullo :)

We're a Linux shop, and are getting an IBM pSeries 650 with AIX
preloaded on Friday - I have no AIX experience, and was looking for info
about compiling pg 8.1.3 on AIX, since it's the only app that will run
on the machine. First, are there any precompiled packages? :))

Basically, is it currently a matter of ./configure, make, make install ?
We can have whatever AIX version we want up to 5.3, so I'm looking for
advice on which provides the path of least resistance..

I've been reading through
http://archives.free.net.ph/message/20051122.005048.a0a268bc.en.html and
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faqs.FAQ_AIX.html

What's the popular concensus of using gcc versus  AIX's native 'cc' ?

Is a pg install likely to just be a case of installing libedit and
perhaps using the 8.2devel backend Makefle as the FAQ_AIX suggests?

Sorry for being so green, but I really am in a corner needing to get
things moving ASAP :(

Cheers,
Gavin.

Re: pg 8.1.3 on AIX

Дата:
Gavin Hamill <gdh@laterooms.com> writes:
> Basically, is it currently a matter of ./configure, make, make install ?

Should be, modulo whatever FAQ_AIX tells you.

> We can have whatever AIX version we want up to 5.3, so I'm looking for
> advice on which provides the path of least resistance..

With old AIX versions there seems to be a problem with gcc not liking
the system headers (see recent thread), but we know 5.2 builds PG OK
with either gcc or cc; there are a couple of 5.2 machines in the
buildfarm.  I'd go with the latest system release if I were you,
barring very concrete reasons not to.

            regards, tom lane

Re: pg 8.1.3 on AIX

От
Seneca Cunningham
Дата:
Gavin Hamill wrote:
> We're a Linux shop, and are getting an IBM pSeries 650 with AIX
> preloaded on Friday - I have no AIX experience, and was looking for info
> about compiling pg 8.1.3 on AIX, since it's the only app that will run
> on the machine. First, are there any precompiled packages? :))

None that I know of.  The usual sources for precompiled AIX packages
don't have postgres.

> Basically, is it currently a matter of ./configure, make, make install ?
> We can have whatever AIX version we want up to 5.3, so I'm looking for
> advice on which provides the path of least resistance..
>
> I've been reading through
> http://archives.free.net.ph/message/20051122.005048.a0a268bc.en.html and
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faqs.FAQ_AIX.html
>
> What's the popular concensus of using gcc versus  AIX's native 'cc' ?

I'm not certain, I've only used gcc.  Don't install GNU binutils,
though.  Use AIX's native tools (you can't even bootstrap gcc with
binutils).

> Is a pg install likely to just be a case of installing libedit and
> perhaps using the 8.2devel backend Makefle as the FAQ_AIX suggests?

You don't actually need libedit, but unlike readline it hasn't caused
any segfaults.  If you want to use libedit, follow option 2 from the FAQ
as readline would probably be installed already through IBM's rpms.  If
you want to use readline, follow option 1 (and I only tested the
procedure with revision 1.112 of the backend Makefile).  If you don't
care about tab-completion, history, and anything else readline provides,
it's easier to leave everything vanilla and add --without-readline to
the configure flags (option 3 from the FAQ).  (And yes, I do now realize
that the optional nature of this matter could have been better expressed
in the FAQ by using something other than unadorned numbers to label the
options.  They're options, not steps)

--
Seneca Cunningham
scunning@ca.afilias.info

Re: pg 8.1.3 on AIX

От
Gavin Hamill
Дата:
Tom + Seneca,

Thank you for your sage advice - hopefully I will have enough Linux +
compilation experience  to bridge the AIX gap - no doubt if I run into
big problems, you'll hear about it soon! :)

Cheers,
Gavin,

Re: pg 8.1.3 on AIX

Дата:
Seneca Cunningham wrote:
> the configure flags (option 3 from the FAQ).  (And yes, I do now realize
> that the optional nature of this matter could have been better expressed
> in the FAQ by using something other than unadorned numbers to label the
> options.  They're options, not steps)

AIX FAQ updated for clarity that these are options.

--
  Bruce Momjian   http://candle.pha.pa.us