Re: Question about the contrib rpm ?

От Agnes Bocchino
Тема Re: Question about the contrib rpm ?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hello Tom, hello List,

Sorry if we haven't been clear in our first mail.
We don't really understand your answer.
So, we try to clarify our general question and give more details :

When we go on the web site to download PostgreSQL 8.1.2,
we find not only the serveur rpm but also some others rpms.
and we don't kow which of them we have to install together with our rpm
make from the 8.1.2 targz.

We are making our rpm on Novascale Ia64
We have used the "postgresql-8.1.2.tar.gz" file downloaded from the
PostGreSQL web site. From that file, we have re-compiled PostGreSQL for
IA64 on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 AS, with the "icc" Intel compiler.
We would like to 'deliver'  a more complete set as possible.
and we don't know if we have to package some others packages..
For the langage python,perl,tcl .......we know that if we need them we
have to use the --with option when we compile.
It seems also to us that it is not necessary to have the lib rpm as the
necessary librairies are include in the rpm when wecompile and package it.
but ..............we dont' know what doing with the *contrib *rpm
available on the net, should we have to deliver it with our rpm.

Why this question ?
When we have extract files from the archive file, we have obtained these
directories :
[/BUILD/postgresql-8.1.2]$ ls -ltr
total 1528
-rw-r--r--   1 postdev pgsql    445 Apr 23  2004 aclocal.m4
-rw-r--r--   1 postdev pgsql   1375 Oct  1  2004 README
-rw-r--r--   1 postdev pgsql   1412 Oct  6  2004 Makefile
-rw-r--r--   1 postdev pgsql   1192 Dec 31  2004 COPYRIGHT
-rw-r--r--   1 postdev pgsql   3435 May  1  2005 GNUmakefile.in
-rwxr-xr-x   1 postdev pgsql 689752 Jan  5 05:02 configure
-rw-r--r--   1 postdev pgsql  43596 Jan  5 05:02 configure.in
-rw-r--r--   1 postdev pgsql 387774 Jan  6 05:09 HISTORY
-rw-r--r--   1 postdev pgsql  44484 Jan  6 05:09 INSTALL
drwxr-xr-x   2 postdev pgsql   4096 Jan  6 05:09 config
drwxr-xr-x  35 postdev pgsql   4096 Jan  6 05:09 *contrib*
-rw-r--r--   1 postdev pgsql   3435 Feb 16 12:22 GNUmakefile
-rwxr-xr-x   1 postdev pgsql  56658 Feb 16 12:22 config.status
drwxr-xr-x  15 postdev pgsql   4096 Feb 16 12:22 src
drwxr-xr-x   7 postdev pgsql   4096 Feb 16 12:22 doc
-rw-r--r--   1 postdev pgsql 278305 Feb 16 12:22 config.log

Under the "contrib" repertory, we have among others things
"*start-scripts*" directory which contains the "linux" file which allows
to launch automatically PostGreSQL each time the machine reboots.
[ contrib]# ls
adddepend          dblink         intarray   mSQL-interface
pgstattuple    tablefunc
btree_gist         dbmirror       isbn_issn  oid2name
pg_trgm        tips
chkpass            earthdistance  lo         oracle
README         tsearch2
contrib-global.mk  fulltextindex  ltree      pgbench
seg            userlock
cube               fuzzystrmatch  mac        pg_buffercache
spi            vacuumlo
dbase              intagg         Makefile   pgcrypto
start-scripts  xml2

And when we install our rpm, we don't have a "contrib" directory such as
this obtains after having extracted the files from the tar.gz archive.
Our question is how to add in the rpm that we have generated a "contrib"
directory, in order to have scripts like "linux" ?
Or  should we used the "contrib" rpm available in the web site
Or we have to regenerate the contrib rpm from the source rpm?
Or should we install the "contrib" rpm available in the web site, even
if it has not been compiled for IA64 ?
Or Should we recompile this rpm with gcc and it will be compatible with
our rpm compiled with icc?

We found in the archive documentation information about start-script,
we don't find anything else about init script, what do you mean with
'init script' , is-it the pg_ctl command ?

and is there a documentation abou all 'things'  we see under the contrib
directory (from the targz)

Thank you having read us until the end ............
and thanks again for your help

regards
A&A