Re: Why don't we allow DNS names in pg_hba.conf?

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: Why don't we allow DNS names in pg_hba.conf?
Дата
Re: Why don't we allow DNS names in pg_hba.conf?  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
>> Personally, I doubt there's any great use case for DNS names. Like Tom
>> says, if it involves much more that removing the AI_NUMERICHOST hint
>> then let's forget it.
>
> Perhaps more to the point: let's do that and wait to see if the field
> demand justifies expending lots of sweat on anything smarter.  Given
> that we've gone this long with only allowing numeric IPs in pg_hba.conf,
> I suspect we'll find that few people really care.

Well as one of the people that deploys and managees many, many
postgresql installations I can say I have never run into the need to
have dns names and the thought of dns names honestly seems silly. It
will increase overhead and dependencies that I just wouldn't want in my
installations.

Joshua D. Drake