Re: Why don't we allow DNS names in pg_hba.conf?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Why don't we allow DNS names in pg_hba.conf?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Perhaps more to the point: let's do that and wait to see if the field
>> demand justifies expending lots of sweat on anything smarter.  Given
>> that we've gone this long with only allowing numeric IPs in pg_hba.conf,
>> I suspect we'll find that few people really care.

> Well as one of the people that deploys and managees many, many
> postgresql installations I can say I have never run into the need to
> have dns names and the thought of dns names honestly seems silly. It
> will increase overhead and dependencies that I just wouldn't want in my
> installations.

If you don't want DNS names, you don't have to use 'em, so arguments of
this sort seem rather irrelevant to me.  They would be relevant if we
were talking about expending any great amount of development manpower
... which is why I'd rather see us do something minimal first, and see
if it gets used much.