Re: Autovacuum in the backend

От Matthew T. O'Connor
Тема Re: Autovacuum in the backend
Дата
Re: Autovacuum in the backend  (Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@surnet.cl>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Josh Berkus wrote:

>Qingqing,
>

>>add a parameter to let user pass in the configuration parameters:
>>* autovacuum_command = "-s 100 -S 1 ..."
>>

>um, can we have these as separate GUCs and not lumped together as a string?
>i.e.:
>autovacuum_frequency = 60  #seconds, 0 = disable
>autovacuum_vacuum_threshold = 200
>autovacuum_vacuum_multiple = 0.5
>autovacuum_analyze_threshold = 100
>autovacuum_analyze_multiple = 0.4
>
>AV should be disabled by default.  It should also automatically use the global
>vacuum_delay settings.

Agreed, disabled by default (at least for 8.1, perhaps a topic of
conversation for 8.2+), yes it should obey the global vacuum_delay
settings, and yes it should have it's own GUC's as you suggested (all of
this was the case with the patch that I submitted for 8.0, which Alvarro
is now working on).

>>But it would be very nice to have something _similar_ to FSM, say DSM
>>(dead space map), which is filled in when a tuple is marked as "dead for
>>all running backends", which could be used to implement a vacuum which
>>vacuums only those pages, which do actually contain removable tuples.
>>

>Speaking of FSM improvements, it would be **really** useful to have a pg_stats
>view that let you know how full the FSM was, overall.  something like:
>pg_stats_fsm_usage
>fsm_relations    fsm_relations_used    fsm_pages        fsm_pages_used
>1000            312                200000        11579
>
>This would allow for other schemes of vacuum automation.

Interesting, perhaps if FSM data is exported to the stats system
autovacuum could use that.  What might be best is both a view that
showed overall FSM information, but then also export FSM information on
a per table basis, perhaps as additional columns added to existing stats
tables.

Сообщение: Re: Autovacuum in the backend
Сообщение: Re: Autovacuum in the backend