Re: Online Backups with 8.0 -- Confused

От Pallav Kalva
Тема Re: Online Backups with 8.0 -- Confused
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Simon Riggs wrote:

>On Thu, 2005-03-31 at 18:41 -0500, Jason DiCioccio wrote:
>

>>  Now, realize that ..0022 was not in the archive directory, and
>>actually is still not.  However, it seems to be requiring it.  Do I
>>have to wait for this log to be archived?
>>

>Yes.
>

>>Is there a way that I can
>>force the archival of this WAL log?
>>

>No, other than write lots of stuff to a table.
>
>Straight answers, but I hope that helps.
>
>In retrospect, there is a slight timing error between end backup and
>archival of next WAL log. The first-release design for PITR didn't fully
>cover lower traffic situations, so in those cases the timing error
>becomes noticeable. You're not the first to observe this, though only by
>about a month.
>
>I'm considering options for the next release, since major change seems
>to be required to the basic xlog handling mechanisms.

If postgres is trying to read an archive log file which was not yet
generated, why cant it read from the
transaction log ? I mean the current last transaction log before you
start the restoration process, wouldnt
that work ?  I tried restore couple of time on postgres 8 it didnt give
me this error, can anyone tell me how to
reproduce this error, we are planning to move to 8.0 soon and I will be
using online backups .

>Best Regards, Simon Riggs

>TIP 7: don't forget to increase your free space map settings

Сообщение: Re: How to recover when can't start database